So, I have been a total slacker on the blogging for the last few weeks. The semester has sort of gotten to be well over my head. I am swamped like crazy and every time I get something done, 3 other things have come to take their place. This week was Spring Break (yeah!) though there wasn’t much “break” involved. I took tons of work home — got some done, didn’t get other parts done, and had lots of new work added to what I planned to do. Essentially that means I’ll be going back to work on Monday with more to do than when I left for “break” even though I haven’t really done much “break”-ing.
As such, I feel the need to blog, but am not so knowing what to blog about. Could be the new tattoo I got last week. Or the deer Pkin and I killed yesterday when she sprinted right in front of the car (I was in a mopey and pissy mood all evening. And not because the car was smooshed. I don’t do violence of any sort and really hate seeing animals hurt especially when I think humans are largely culpable — beyond the hitting of them with cars — for taking up so damn much land and pushing them out of their habitats). Or the small demon that has taken up residence inside the now 5-year old Pkin. She’s been ordering us around since her birthday (literally, it started the minute she turned 5). Last night I was told “You are not a good mama!”
In the end, I’m gonna’ do a cop out meme blog. Feel free to hijack the questions for your own blog…or to just laugh at my absurd answers…
1. Who was your first prom date? Hubby DM. He was my only prom date ever. We started dating in our sophomore year of high school so I went with him to all of our high school dances, except for my sophomore homecoming (which I attended with a guy named Bill who was nice and all that but who I went with only because I had heard DM was going with some friends and thought I might be able to dance with him there. Yeah, I know. I didn’t say I was nice…)
2. Do you still talk to your first love? Not much. I know where he is…or I think I do. Last I heard he was in FL working at Starbucks. Oddly, I learned this from my dad who ended up in the same PhD program as him down there. The first conversation with dad about that was interesting…dad didn’t know I already knew that “first love” was actually gay. Dad was trying to figure out how to break it to me. I actually had a string of dating gay men back then (back then being junior high). Interestingly, I think I knew it before many of them did…
3. What was your first alcoholic drink? Not counting the sips of beer dad gave me while mowing the lawn on the driving mower (sips I now count as responsible for my not liking beer at all!) I’m guessing it would be the gin and coke that my 7th grade best friend and I drank before heading into our choir concert. Ironically, I was playing Carrie Nation in the concert…
4. What was your first job? Besides babysitting I am thinking it was working in mom’s insurance office. More accurately, working at home to file her countless piles of paper so she could take them to the insurance office.
5. What was your first car? A brown and tan 1980 Monte Carlo with a 1981 Camaro engine in it. A solid chunk of metal (aka land yacht) that served me well through a collision with a little fiberglass car — right up until the engine seized because I forgot to change the oil (the gas gauge didn’t work either so I frequently ran out of gas. Became a joke with my MIL — she gave me an empty pill bottle for carrying extra gas. It was a joke — don’t worry, she’s not an idiot.)
6. Who was the first person to text you today? Pi. She’s actually responsible for me using text much more than I used to. And now I love it!
7. Who is the first person you thought of this morning? Pkin. Considering how yesterday ended and her middle of the night session yelling at her for “teasing” her by not “listening to me better” I woke up and decided I’d keep her home from school today so we could have a mama, Pkin day together and hopefully work through some of this intense ego creation stuff she’s got going on. Yeah. That didn’t work.
8. Who was your first grade teacher? I’m thinking her name was Mrs. Wilkes, but I’m not sure why I think that or if I am right.
9. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? From Denver, CO to Washington, DC. I was actually one of those obnoxious junior high students to flock to the District and be herded like cattle to look at all sorts of large chunks of marble and big collections of artifacts and…I only knew one person on the entire trip, Wendy, even though it was a group of people from my school (at least, I think that’s right), so Wendy and I ended up being roomies and doing everything together. That was also my first experience with actual humidity.
10. Who was your first best friend, and are you still friends with him/her? I’m not sure really. Somewhat surprisingly I was one of the “popular” people when I was younger so had a bunch of friends and boyfriends, but I can’t really remember who was the first or who was the best. I do know that in the latest collection of stuff my parents have sent me from my childhood there is a page that has lots of information I apparently dictated about my family, pets, etc. and it says my best friend is Joie. That was from kindergarten, so maybe she was my first? I’m not still friends with her though. Don’t actually remember her last name and didn’t remember her at all until I read the page my rents sent…
11. What was your first sport played? Baseball. And I got knocked cold trying to catch a fly. I think I quit playing then that year. A couple years later, though, I started my obsession with softball (hopefully not because I thought the balls would be softer if they hit me in the chin). I don’t play it anymore and definitely miss it. I’m hoping to teach Pkin to play this year.
12. Where was your first sleepover? In Colorado I know. I think it was at the house of a girl named Joy (I think). She had bright red, curly hair — looked like Orphan Annie. I got very homesick and got an upset stomach from it. Her parents gave me some Pepto and I promptly puked it back up. Needless to say, they called my parents and I went home. The first sleepover at my house didn’t go much better. My friend Tim came over (my parents were fairly progressive, I guess). When we went to go to sleep he tried to kiss me, so I picked him up and threw him across the room (I may have been 8 or 9, but I was pretty strong and he was pretty little).
13. Who was the first person you talked to today? DM. He got up at crazy a.m. to go into work. I told him I was going to have Pkin stay home and asked him to call her school to let them know. (The staying at home thing definitely didn’t make things any better. Right now she’s screaming and crying and saying “you guys don’t make me happy!” because we asked her to actually walk the 4 feet from the couch to the trash can to throw away her Popsicle wrapper).
14. Whose wedding were you in the first time? I think it was Uncle Richard and Aunt Pam’s. I know I wore a yellow dress with little roses at the waist. I think I was a flower girl. I’ve never been a bridesmaid. Was supposed to be matron of honor in my maid of honor’s wedding, but she and her guy broke up before the wedding
15. What was the first thing you did this morning? Snuggled Pkin.
16. What was the first concert you ever went to? Not counting all the band and choir concerts, it was Whitney Houston in 8th grade for my junior high best friend’s birthday. Three or four of us went to Red Rocks with her dad (who had his headphones on listing to his music the whole time). The people a few rows in front of us were smoking pot, so by the time the concert was over we all had a little contact high. I recall thinking my feet were just a few centimeters above the stairs the whole way out and was astounded at how I could get where I wanted to go by floating.
17. What was your first tattoo or piercing? I tried for years to get my parents to let me get my ears pierced and finally got to do it for my 13th birthday. Sometime soon after I got both ears pierced a second time. And then when I was about 14, I pierced a third hole in my left ear while on the phone with my then boyfriend. Just me, an ice cube, and a needle over the course of an hour or so. First tattoo was just last weekend as a celebration for being advanced to candidacy in my PhD program. Maybe also for turning 36 (that was just this week, so it seems like good timing). I’ve wanted a tattoo since I was 15 or so but was always sort of “eh” about actually doing it. So, about 20 years later I actually did it. And it will be my one and only!
18. What was the first foreign country you went to? Well, technically I went to Canada when I was about a year old. I was asleep in the car and they stopped to look at an overlook or something and accidentally locked their keys inside with me in the car. They got to have fun teaching me how to unlock the car door. Of course, I have no memory of this. My first memory of another country was driving to Mexico with my parents, one of my aunts, and two of my uncles in a Volkswagen Bug for a track meet.
19. What was your first run-in with the law? This one’s actually pretty bad (though at the time I didn’t really get that it was). Sometime in early Elementary school (1st to 3rd grade sometime, based on where we were living) I had a “friend”, Christine I think, who was several years older than me. She apparently had a problem with stealing things and thought I was a good accomplice because I was little. So she would break into people’s houses by pushing open unlocked windows and would put me through the window to come unlock the door for her. I told a friend (the aforementioned Joy) and she told her parents who told the police. They came to my house to talk to my parents and then to talk to me about Christine, what we did, and what was taken. I believe they used what I said against Christine, but can’t say for sure as I wasn’t allowed to see her anymore so don’t really know what happened.
20. When was your first detention? Never had one.
21. What was the first state you lived in? Colorado.
22. Who was the first person to break your heart? The aforementioned gay guy (not formerly gay, cuz he is still gay) who was my first love. He found out I was also seeing another guy and so he broke up with me. I remember sobbing hysterically at the end of my waterbed while listening to Air Supply.
23. Who was your first roommate? DM, Zach, Jack, Madeline, and, occasionally, Madeline’s sometimes boyfriend Lane. That lasted for about 6 months, I think. Then DM and I moved out. I am definitely not one for living with other people.
24. Where did you go on your first limo ride? I think it was from our wedding to our reception. We cruised up the main street in my home town and by the community theatre where my parents, DM, and I did a lot of plays and such. My dad had put a congratulatory message about our wedding up on the marquis to surprise us, so the driver drove by it and made some sort of funky remark to get us to look out the window (otherwise, we would have just kept talking to each other).