Episode VI: Return of the Wheat (and the Sugar and the Chocolate…)

It took longer than I expected to get over the wheat/fibro flare from last week, so I wasn’t able to retry the wheat experiment until a whole week had passed. Thus, Saturday was my second attempt. I tackled it with an Egg McMuffin (I know — desperate times, more on this in a moment…) and scones — because farmer’s market season has begun and they just looked good. The day was rather crazy (the start of farmer’s market season also means the start of arts market and festival season so we had our first New Path Designs booth of the season as well). That means a busy early morning start and, as much as we tried to plan ahead, a sudden trip to McDonalds to grab something so we actually ate.

The start of this new season also carries with it some more complicated scheduling that we haven’t yet exactly figured out. Pkin has a manga drawing class (which is exactly the perfect thing for her) on Saturday mornings, but we also have shows on Saturdays. And on this past Saturday also had Home Depot coming by to measure for some new carpet and bamboo for our stairs. This meant we got to the market and set up. Just about as soon as we finished that DH and Pkin headed off to her class. Just about as soon as they got back, I headed home for the measurement (with a brief trip to the farmer’s market since it would be closed by the time I got back). We hadn’t eaten since breakfast and I wouldn’t be back until well after lunch time, so scones it was! Once I got back to the show (with a brief side trip to replenish our raw, local honey stash since I have determined I can eat it and, therefore, bake with it), it was time to break down and head home.

I didn’t seem to be having any negative effects from the wheat, so thought I might be one of those lucky(?) people who aren’t affected by it. I didn’t dive right back into eating it though — I’m not sure why.

And then there was Sunday evening…  As many of you likely know, this week is Teacher Appreciation Week. When you’re PTA president, that means there are a lot of expectations (especially when you often sub at the same school so know most of the teachers pretty well). Luckily, we were able to find a great volunteer who tackled all of the planning and organizing for us. I did help some, though (because I’m not the sort of person who can not do something). I volunteered to make a dessert for the teacher appreciation luncheon and to create and distribute one of the items we put in their mailboxes each day.

I got the York Peppermint Patty day (where we thank them for their commit-MINT to our kids — get it?). I was plugging along, sticking two patties together with some double-sided tape and adding our cute little sticker, when I suddenly had a mega-urge to eat a patty. And I so I did. Before I even really thought about it. A bit later, I had another. And another. Apparently, I was following the “can’t eat just one” theory…

I did stop at that point — and prepared for the worst. Which didn’t really come. At first. So I baked the cake I needed for the teacher’s luncheon and carried on about my day. By last night, though, it was clear that my body wasn’t very happy with me (or, rather, wasn’t very happy with the foods I’d eaten). My stomach was a bit bloated, I was tired, my head was starting to hurt, and my joints and muscles were painful and stiff.

This morning, I was still not feeling my best and had a hard time getting out of bed. But I had a lot to do, so staying there wasn’t an option. Up I got and off I headed to school where DH and I stuffed loads of mints into loads of boxes. We grabbed a couple quick breakfast burritos from our favorite (aka only) New Mexican-style restaurant and home we went (no, I wasn’t yet paying attention to the fact that wheat may have started all of this and, therefore, ate even more wheat). And then more peppermint patties.

Once it was time for the luncheon, I headed to school with my dessert (which ended up being a trifle rather than a cake after lots of problem solving). The sugar in my system made me feel a bit nauseous and a whole lot of jittery. There I helped and thanked and applauded and appreciated like crazy. And ate half a piece of key lime pie.

Here I am, several hours later, again exhausted and in pain. I’m not beating myself up, though, nor am I gorging on everything in sight. There are still peppermint patties in a bag on the other side of the couch and the remnants of the cake that didn’t make it into the trifle upstairs on the counter. But I’ve finally made the connection between how I’m feeling and the wheat and sugar extravaganza of the past few days. I’m not interested in going back there anymore. I’ve done pain and disfunction for years. I think I’ll take energy and excitement over that any day!


Leave a comment

Filed under 21 DSD, food, health, Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s